Forum Discription: Discussion of all things Madeleine
URL: http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=212
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 1:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NY concert - what happened?
Posted By: SST23
Subject: NY concert - what happened?
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:28pm

I am a HUGE Madeleine fan but was a little turned off after seeing her live (it was my first time).  She was very awkward on stage, and was babbling about nonsense when not singing. She wasn't making any sense!  Also, she just plain did not seem very happy to be there.  Anyone else feel the same way?  Or is this just her?  Her voice is a dream but I thought she gave a half-hearted performance last night.

P.S.  The venue was miserable - hot and uncomfortable seats.  The price was a rip!  Maybe the whole atmosphere was just bad karma...

Replies:
Posted By: sofi
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:53pm
SST23 ,  The show was great . The seats were comfortable . "I Think It's Going To Rain Today" was a gem ... Jimmie ...

Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 3:14pm

Jimmie - Town Hall is miserable.  I just got bad vibes from the whole shebang (and as the message boards indicate, some concertgoers in other venues felt the same way.)  So it's not just me!

Posted By: Daisy
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 3:20pm
Here here Sofi!
SST23 - were you there. What a show.
Firstly Odetta was a blast. Madeleine then came on, afterwards and with a
warm greeting to the crowd, expertly opened with Blue Alert and
seemlessly moved through her set appearing to enjoy the show from
beginning to end. She gave some excellent commentary on her songs,
made some funny little quips and her duet with Odetta was a crowning
and beautiful moment in the show. The band throughout were fabulous.
It was a wonderful evening where the enjoyment of all the performers was
palpable.

Were you really at the same show? The Karma was all good.

Daisy

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:09pm

To each his own, I guess.  Unfortunately, for me, it's the last time I'll be forking over $100 for tix to her show.  I'm more content to listen to her albums at home, without putting up with the nonsense I described.

Oh - and you gotta love the anti-Republican/Bush/RedState-BlueState stuff side comments here and there throughout the show.  That's the kicker for me every time.

Posted By: WebMaster
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:48pm
Well it was a little warm up in the balcony at times and the seats are not the most comfortable.

However the performances of both Odetta and Madeleine were very good.

I really liked 'Blue Alert' and she put her own stamp on 'I Think It's Going to Rain Today'.

SST23, if you were up in the balcony I don't think the acoustics were that great. I could have used some more volume up there. I couldn't understand some of Madi's commentary.

So that was a problem with the venue. Madeleine however was in fine form. Very loose and comfortable on stage. I think very much feeling at home.

As for the political statements, you'll have to learn to ignore them. Madi has very strong political sentiments and isn't afraid to speak her mind.

Rich Hanson

-------------
Rich Hanson
http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org - www.madeleinepeyroux.org

Posted By: frenchwoman
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 6:36pm
I was just in front of the artist who I saw for the first time. She is really wonderfull and the musicians too. I PREFERE Madeleine in live, and the originality and the creation of the music. Thank you for such a beautiful moment, and the duo too. You're a nice singer, stay as you are... don't change the music, thank you very much. An album in live ?

Posted By: sofi
Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 10:15pm
And the Duo too ....

Posted By: TomKWS
Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 9:53pm
To all,

I am a NYC swing/lounge/jazz promoter, and have been friends with our Mme. Peyroux for more than a few years now.

Truly, she is a unique spirit and, in my professional opinion, performs live unlike any talent for whom I've had the privilege to previously be audience. Of course, if the Town Hall/NYC gig was your first experience feeling her live (as opposed to a professionally-mixed album recording), I can understand your perception of her feeling uncomfortable or awkward on stage.

Perhaps, for any of us to truly appreciate this unique artist, we must step back for a moment... and understand that Maddy is not, probably will never be, and certainly doesn't aspire to become, a polished Top-Ten-on-the-jazz-charts type of performer. Clearly, she shuns the spotlight and — only with practiced reticence — does she endeavor to perform publicly. She truly is an artist; one who expresses herself because it is her calling and she can do nothing else but... ultimately to please herself.

Please do not expect her live events to be a polished, patter-rehearsed show. That's not fair to ask of her. The true value of her talent lies elsewhere.

I challenge you to relax in your seat, listen with no expectations, and find it.

Posted By: bk669
Date Posted: November 01 2006 at 8:10am
I love Madeleine and I'm going to see her tonite in boston. what is up with the negativity? I don't go to shows looking to be critical - if it's an artist that I don't think I'll enjoy seeing, I don't go. I know I will enjoy tonite's concert and I'm not looking to be critical, no matter whether Madeleine has the pitter patter routine down or not... whether her hair is messy or she breaks a string... whether she bashes bush or not.   although if she does bash that idiot, it will make me even happier ... :-)

Posted By: clav
Date Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:06pm

SST23, I saw Madeleine for the first time in Boston last night.  My wife and I are big fans of her recordings.  Our impression of her show was very similar to yours.  Her pitch, volume control, and phrasing were very loose and uncontrolled.  Her engagement with the audience was awkward.  Her affect was flat and she seemed distracted.

She is hugely talented, and her voice is so engaging and distinct on her recordings.  We hope that this performance was simply an off night for her. 

Posted By: souldad
Date Posted: November 03 2006 at 6:03am
Couldnt disagree more, clav. I saw the Boston show and it was a gem. As for her phrasing being loose, that's her style! I am shocked when I hear people say that.

Posted By: Spiff
Date Posted: November 03 2006 at 6:56am

I had issues with Madeline's performance in Washington DC last month myself. She was disjointed, flaky, and frankly, seemed stoned. There were several people who left the concert who said the same thing. Additionally, a couple of hundred people left the concert before the end, something which I almost never see. I love her albums, but while I'm willing to go see some performers half in the bag, she isn't one of them. A huge disappointment in person.

Posted By: JayAre
Date Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:50am
I saw Ms. Peyroux in concert once (Monterey Jazz Festival, Sep. 2005), and I have to agree with the negative concert reviews.  It was very disappointing.

On the positive side, I just picked up Got You on My Mind, and it's brilliant--probably my favorite of all her releases.

Posted By: HunterB
Date Posted: March 12 2007 at 1:02pm
See my comments on the Charleston show. I had the same impression, that
being on stage here was the last place on earth she wanted to be.
Unfortunate because we'd looked forward to the show for a month. She was
so ungracious and condescending that we finally walked out.

Posted By: hillbilly
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 5:28am
My wife and I saw her concert last night in Charlotte. We both thought that
Ms Peyroux seemed very tired and her voice was not in good form. I thought
it was because of this being the last date in the tour, but reading here that
doesn't seem to be the cause. Her backup band was excellent. True
professionals. I would pay to see them again. Not sure about her.

Posted By: Gina
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:42am
It is very rare that I am moved enough by the music of an individual performer to venture on to a fan website. However, I have became a fan of Madeleine's in 2004 when she released Careless Love and have been visiting this website on and off over the last few years hoping that she would come to perform close enough to where I live.   I was ecstatic to find she was coming to Charlotte and I too got to see Madeleine perform last night and I have to say I was captivated by her performance. She has such a unique voice, her choice of material is impeccable and her lack of veneer is so refreshing.    I will agree with hillbilly her band were stellar - but I find Hillbilly's response suprising - so suprising that I felt I had to say something. Certainly there were some songs she performed last night that I prefer on her CDs - there were other's which were a true joy to hear performed live by her. I loved Blue Alert and her French renditions. Her stage presence is understated that's for sure. It is not cabaret - thank goodness. Nor is there a gloss on her speel. Personally I much prefer this to the 'american idol'esque nature of an over produced show. Madeleine is so refreshing and 'real' - this is what appeals to me and as I can see puts other forum members off. Each to their own I guess. In my view is one of the most unique vocal talents of her generation. And she is great guitarist to boot. I loved the show and feel privileged to have finally seen her live. I am looking forward to the next opportunity I get.

Best, Gina

Posted By: bamboo
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 1:17pm
I don't usually post comments on artists' sites, but last night's show in
Charlotte was so disappointing that I can't stay silent. I was inclined to
blame her lackluster performance on the fact this was her last tour stop -
she seemed anxious to get it over with and go home. Comments from
other cities indicate this was not simply a rare "off night." My wife is a
bigger fan than I am and even she commented on Madeleine's aimless
rambling - and that was during the songs, not between. I know her style
is loose, but in concert it was totally disconnected. I didn't expect a slick
production, but I had hoped for something slightly more coherent. Save
your ticket money and buy her CDs instead.

Posted By: carson
Date Posted: March 16 2007 at 8:32pm
I've never seen our girl live, but from these postings, it
sounds like maybe she's burned out on the "success" thing, with its
rediculous schedules and constant commercial obligations. From those
videos on Youtube of her in the small club, it looks like she might of
been happier before she hit the bigtime. Look at Britney Spears and all
the other casualties of the "machine". Its the damn industry that can kill a
beautiful soul.

They're the one's that put the "sucks" in success!

Did anybody ever see her live before she got so famous? I would of liked
to see the concert that's on the video. Just wonder if the pressure is
wearing her down. You have to wonder if her managers are looking after
her properly or just trying to milk her for every penny before she cracks
up. Maybe she needs a break!

Carson

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com