Forum LockedMadeleine in Mesa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Madeleine in Mesa
    Posted: February 23 2007 at 10:16am

On Tuesday, February 20th, Madi performed at the new Mesa Arts Center in Arizona. I went with mixed expectations as I have been disappointed in live Madi peformances in the past although I absolutely adore her voice.

The Mesa Arts Center is fantastic. The accoustics are wonderful.

It had been advertised that there would be an opening act, but no performer had been named in advance (at least as far as I know). The members of my group were all happily surpised that the opener was Richard Julian doing songs from his new CD "Slow New York". We know well of Richard from his work with Norah Jones, Madi, and especially Sasha Dobson, a favorite of us all. Richard performed very well and was well received by the audience.

Then, time for Madi. Well, she was in fine form in all regards. She sang mostly from "Half the Perfect World" but also did a wonderful rendition of "Careless Love" which she said was her favorite song of all time. Madi interacted well with the audience and explained the history of some of the songs. She even found a way to plug the Deomocratic Party (although I'm not a fan of performers becoming political). Her voice was grand! And she was mostly smiling throughout.

As usual, her band was wonderful and helped make it a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Criticisms? Well, a couple. There was way too long a delay between the opening singer and Madi coming on to the point where the audience was becoming restless and grumpy. To her credit, she apologized for that during the performance. Also, she has a maddeningly annoying habit of totally turning her back to the audience during the instrumental portion of songs. I find that very off-putting, but it's a minor issue overall.

Overall, I rate the concert 9 stars out of 10, and I'm delighted that I went.
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply