Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinding Madeleine...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sawchain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sawchain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding Madeleine...
    Posted: June 07 2004 at 9:05pm
First, I would like to thank all those involved in putting together the new site. It looks great!

I first heard Madeleine on Yahoo! LAUNCH. I was very impressed with her voice, and rated her highly in anticipation of hearing more. For each new song I heard from Dreamland, I was equally impressed, and rated them high as well. Hopefully many more people will be introduced to Madeleine the same way.

Check out my LAUNCH station here.

How did you first find Madeleine?

[ Madi...I look forward to the day you come to San Francisco! (Come to The Fillmore.) ]
volpino View Drop Down

Quote volpino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 12:06am

Hi all from Madrid.

First time I saw Madeleine was in a French TV station called Muzzik, then I brought my first Madi CD of the three that I had (Yes, Madi has released just one CD but I have a rare ability to lose the dreamlands (is this an allegory?)).

My launch radio station? Here

Edited by volpino
Perdido View Drop Down

Quote Perdido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 6:13am
I first saw Madeleine at a club here in Nashville. The Blues Hideaway. She sang on Thursdays through Sundays. She played for an hour then some blues band came on after her and played for much longer. I always wished it had been the other way around. The first time I walked into that place, she was singing 'The Very Thought of You'. I was hooked immediately. I saw her play at least twice a week for the next month or two then she was gone. The club has long since closed but the wonderful memories remain.
Calel View Drop Down

Quote Calel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2004 at 9:29am

I first heard Madeleine on a small local Jazz station when Dreamland was released.  Since that time, I have worn out my copy of the cd and it still is one of my favorites.  Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see her perform in person until this past weekend.  It had been quite some time until I was able to get any news of her at all.  Then I discovered this website and found out that she was going to be performing at the Turning Point Cafe in Piermont, NY on 6/5. 

Fortunately, I was able to make the show.  The club has two seperate shows per night with different performers.  Madeleine played the early show and had the stage all to herself for nearly 2 hours.  She started out with just herself and her Martin acoustic. I had absolutely no idea that she was such an accomplished guitarist.  Her playing was as good as her voice, which is saying alot.  After a couple of songs, she was accompanied by a friend on electric guitar.  I believe that his name was Steve Caradhas.  I'm sure that I'm not spelling his name correctly but he was also fabulous and had a terrific musical rapport with Maddy.  They performed a few of the songs from Dreamland mixed in with a slew of old classics by Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith and Josephine Baker, etc.. They even performed La Vie en Rose as an encore. 

The biggest news however, is that Maddy announced that her new record, released by Rounder Records, will be available as soon as this September.  She also performed one of the songs from the record, but I can't remember the name.  All in all, her performance brought down the house.  It was such a pleasure to see an artist's "talent" shine without the use of any gimmicks or gadgetry.  Now that I've finally seen her perform live, I can't wait to see her again.

Groucho View Drop Down

Quote Groucho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 12:27pm

I too have been hooked on Peyroux ever since the advance publicity for her "Dreamland" debut CD made the rounds of widely-circulated magazines. Time Magazine in particular raved about her. When her CD arrived in Manila where I used to be based, I immediately got me a copy and has since enjoyed her versions of familiar songs and others that sounded just as excellent with her voice and the preferred musical setting she prefers. I thought her performance of I'm Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter is starkly beautiful. Also her versions of La Vie En Rose and her tribute to Bessie Smith.

I have not seen her perform live yet (isn't there a concert date in the future for Raleigh-Durham?) but like the audience in a Carnegie Hall concert where she appeared a few years ago, I am sure we will be astounded by her singular talent. For those interested to hear that Carnegie Hall concert which appeared in JazzTimes, the writer said that when Peyroux sang a la Billie Holiday, the people were transfixed, but when she did it so consistently and effortlessly, they were floored and the applause was supposed to have been spontaneous and rapturous. Oh to be a fly in that Hall that time.

Right now I am eagerly awaiting the release of her latest album which I am sure will get her the recognition she so richly deserves.

PS. I once wrote a review of the jazz performances of actress Jane Horrocks in the album The Further Adventures of Little Voice and I made passing reference to Peyroux's legendary talent. The emails I received for that review were more about Peyroux than anything...

Edited by Groucho
richieboy View Drop Down

Quote richieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 8:57am

Thank you Amazom.com! I discovered MP by following one of their "if you liked that you may like this" suggestions which lead me to Dreamland. Hey Sweet Man got me hooked, I'm a sucker for a spare blues with just voice and guitar.

All I want for Xmas is an word from Rounder that they are planning a live in-concert DVD for Madeleine some time in '05

BTW as people of good taste I'm sure you all own this Skip James CD already, but if you don't I suggest you buy it at once

CarCruncher View Drop Down

Quote CarCruncher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 12:32am

I came across her album "Dreamland" years ago, back in early to mid 1996.  A promo CD was sent to the magazine I was working for at the time.  After listening to it religiously for a week at work, I ended up "borrowing" it for an extended period of time.  I couldn't buy the album anywhere; it unfortunately hadn't yet been released. Although I no longer work for that magazine anymore, I'm still borrowing it.  It has been number 3 in my car's CD changer for years now.

I really do wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate.
msml123 View Drop Down

Quote msml123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 6:54am

Hello to all !

Do you know when was born Madeleine?

For those that it interresse, I created a wallpaper here: http://www.stars-celebrites.com/bio/P/peyroux.htm

Edited by msml123
 Post Reply Post Reply