Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSorry - awful show at Tarrytown Music Hall Sat 7th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AlfieJN View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlfieJN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sorry - awful show at Tarrytown Music Hall Sat 7th
    Posted: March 08 2009 at 5:44pm
Back in 1996 I worked in an independent music store in Nyack, NY AND was the "door-dude" at The Turning Point in Piermont NY.  When "Dreamland" came out and then Madeleine was booked to play at the Club, I told everyone I knew about this incredible new talent.  She took that little venue by storm.  Since then, (including the years when she "disappeared") I told people about her, praised her talents, saw her shows numerous times, and eagerly bought tickets for the Tarrytown Music Hall gig as soon as they were released.
As I left the show on Saturday night, I felt that the experience had been "overwhelmingly average".
Most significantly, the sound mixing was the worst I have encountered in a long, long time.  For most of the show, her wonderful voice was all but drowned out by the band.
Her once-breathtaking repertoire of smoky, sultry, incredibly moody blues songs now includes so many middle-of-the-road characterless ballads, I was totally bloody bored.
She once had the ability to bring an audience to its feet.  At the Tarrytown show, the only ones on their feet were the surprising number of people who got up after the last song and left before the encore.
Sorry Maddy, you made little, if no attempt to endear yourself to the audience in your "between song" chat (or lack thereof!).
I have rarely been SO disappointed by a show that I ask "Can I have my $45 back please".

Edited by AlfieJN - March 09 2009 at 4:08pm
Daisy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 5:02am
Alfie, au contraire mon ami.

I beg to differ.  I am not a techy so I cannot compete with you as the 'door dude' or music guru from Nyack and comment on the quality of the sound mixing, however from where I was sat in the balcony of the music hall, I have never heard Madeleine sound so good.  

I have seen her many times over the years and I confess I am an avid fan.  I  was delighted and charmed by last night's performance.  Her new songs are fabulous. Maybe there was once you could say her voice was drowned out on the new rocking song but that was only once.  Her musicians are great.  With the 'between song chat' Madeleine has never been known for this and that suits me just fine.    Sorry for you - that you seem to have been disappointed.   I loved it.
A big thanks to Madeleine, her musicians and to the folks at Tarrytown who booked her.  I am off to  buy the new Album now.

Post Reply Post Reply