Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBack on the road

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lili View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back on the road
    Posted: November 12 2007 at 10:01am
It is great that Madi is back on the road here in the States. I hope to go see her play next Sat at the Garde Arts Centre in New London, Connecticut. I can't wait.

In the meantime just read this review of her show in Ronake Virginia.

Seems I will be in for a great show.

------------------------------------------------

Jazz is deceptively difficult to play, even at its most subtle. Madeleine Peyroux is among its most subtle practitioners.

But Peyroux and her band made it seem easy in a laid-back, Sunday night show at a sold-out Jefferson Center. The 900-some people in attendance gave her two standing ovations.

Peyroux, a Georgia-born world traveler, treated the audience to her own “Don’t Wait Too Long” and “I’m All Right,” as well as covers such as Leonard Cohen’s “Dance Me To The End Of Love.” At the heart of it all was her voice, which sounds kind of world-weary but hardly beaten, still willing to go for the idiosyncratic phrase or melody. There were few surprises — an exception was her funky New Orleans-style take on the country classic, “Help Me Make It Through the Night.”

Peyroux is a deft guitar player, unfazed by any number of finger-stretching jazz chords. On her ragtime interpretation of Bessie Smith’s “Don’t Cry Baby,” her right thumb alternated bass notes while her fingers played syncopated rhythms and melodies. On Serge Gainsbourg’s “La Javanaise,” she provided chord colors as she dueted with bassist Johannes Weidenmuller.

Most of the intrumental highlights came from keyboardist Jim Beard, a veteran of John McLaughlin’s Mahavishnu Orchestra, who has performed with hard-bop guitarist Mike Stern. Beard played such an engaging solo on the show closer, “J’ai Deux Amours,” that Peyroux did not anticipate going back into the vocal.

“You did that on purpose,” she joked as the verse lolled by.

With her own vocal adventures, stretching and twisting phrases to new purposes, one could accuse her of the same.
MadeleineMadnes View Drop Down

Quote MadeleineMadnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 7:44am
Wow, it soudns incredible. I'd love to here La Javanaise live.
barry beckett View Drop Down

Quote barry beckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:43am
The world needs more like Madeleine. We need her down near Montpellier in
France. I want my small kids to grow up listening to her, knowing the
purpose of music is bringing the joy of LIFE to this moment, and living that
having just a little bit more than we need is the greatest blessing.

Come see us when you can Madeleine, and we will come to you when we can
Much love
ALL THE HAPPINESS IN THE WORLD COMES FROM THINKING ABOUT OTHERS, ALL THE SUFFERING IN THE WORLD COMES FROM THINKING OF OURSELVES
colesey1 View Drop Down

Quote colesey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 7:17pm
Madeline,Thanks so much,come to Leicester,England,or i will hate you forever.xxx
JoeNC View Drop Down

Quote JoeNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 12:30am
Why aren't there more dates posted in her schedule? Surely Madeline is booked further than two months in advance, so why is all we have?

She is amazing! Its such a shame that her career started the way it did. If she had been fortunate enough to start out with people who truly had her best interests in mind ...instead of selfish, manipulative people trying to use her for their own greed ...she would already have a few Grammy awards by now. She has the potential to go as far as Norah Jones.

I wish you the very best Madeline! Please come to North Carolina.
Miguel L R Filh View Drop Down

Quote Miguel L R Filh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 10:56am

Madeleine visited Brazil, but I can't see her.

Her music is amazing;

From Miguel, Olímpia, Brazil

Madeleine, te amo do Brazil
WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:24am
Sorry for not replying sooner to the post about tour dates.

Although I'm not privy to the negotiations that go into setting up gigs, what is posted is all that's been given to me.

As soon as I get anymore dates they will be posted on both the .com and .org sites.

Edited by WebMaster
Abbe View Drop Down

Quote Abbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 1:59pm
I have 2 tix to the Oyster Bay Planting Field show on June 28th that I can't use. If interested, please email me at abbejj@aol.com
Abbe
 Post Reply Post Reply