Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMs. Madeleine’s Rhythm Section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kobe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ms. Madeleine’s Rhythm Section
    Posted: May 24 2007 at 11:57am

I am constantly amazed by the extra high quality of all the musicians that provide the backup for Ms. Madeleine’s songs.  As a musician I understand the rare times when all the players combine to produce a great rendition of a song. On all the recordings that Ms. Madeleine has made this seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Is it me or does the piano always come in exactly at the right time? Does Ms. Madeleine’s voice drift above the music or the music drift below Ms. Madeleine’s voice? It is so wonderful to hear the organ used in songs, it had great usage in rock during the 60’s and early 70’s and then dropped from the mainstream. Ms. Madeleine’s songs make use of some great saxophone solos.  Then there are the French songs. They are so excellent that I think Ms. Madeleine is the true American Ambassador of France. I cannot wait until Ms. Madeleine has recorded so much that she will be able to fill a CD with her French love songs.

So what is it? The arrangements. Certainly the music that she has recorded have been excellent arrangements. The recording technicians? Certainly the mix, tone and volumes of the instrumentation on her recordings are top notch. Her Voice? Of course its her voice, I believe that is what drew all of us to her in the first place. Just some forum comments in the last few moths say a lot. Film fan said, “her vocals seem to caress each song” and Gord believes that she possess old soul. How can you disagree with that? How about her guitar playing? Susan said that she was the “Best female guitarist ever”. A fact that is hidden by her voice, a double whammy. Or is it something else?

I am firmly convinced that Ms. Madeleine could do concerts and provide a full sound just with her voice and her excellent guitar work. It is this, which makes all her songs so much better. She could do this but doesn’t have to because all these wonderful musicians do it with her. You have substance added to substance. These are big deals. In every aspect quality seems to flock to Ms. Madeleine. I believe that Ms. Madeleine’s is the jazz voice of this generation and if I had the opportunity I would want to be part of anything she was involved in. I have heard the saying “It is money, not Love that makes the world go round” so keeping in that vein there must also be some producers and the folks at Rounder Records who believe in Ms. Madeleine enough to put up the large amounts of cash needed to draw the top notch talent that makes things go smoothly. 

Ms. Madeleine’s Rhythm section is in this forum member’s belief the velvet cushion in which the crown jewel sits in. I am also happy to hear that this seems to continue in the live shows as well. Phillip said of the Sydney show that the band was tight and impressive and benji boy was impressed enough of the same show to give us the names of the band members. Daisy on 10/26 talked about a live show she went to as “The Band was

ronkobe
film fan View Drop Down

Quote film fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:52am

I believe that the band members are just as important as the singer they're backing.  For example, when I saw Madeleine play the Hammersmith Apollo in London, England, I thought the band did a great job in backing Madeleine.  So much so she gave each band member a solo spot on every song she performed.

Kobe, you say that Madeleine could do concerts with just her voice and guitar.  I don't think that'll work because she needs the extra gravitas and dimension from her band.  Her songs performed live always have that extra edge to them thanks to the band's solo spots.

As to her voice, I think it's one of the most compelling and thrilling sounds I've heard.  I could listen to her voice all day and I still think that her voice caresses each song as if they were her own.  Overall, I think Madeleine needs the support of her band.  They have been superb on all her albums and the songs have that little extra magic.

This is Jonathan signing off till next time.

Jonathan, huge Madeleine Peyroux fan.
kobe View Drop Down

Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 8:36am

Hello Jonathan,

Thanx for the feedback. I do think that the band does add dimension and I think alot of the songs that she does wouldn't have the same beauty if the band didn't back her But, as for her being able to provide a full sound with just her voice and guitar alone you just need to go to the Dreamland CD and listen to Hey Sweet Man, Always a Use and Lovesick Blues for fine examples of her solo ability.     

Thanx - Ron Kobe 

ronkobe
 Post Reply Post Reply