Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOlympia Theatre, Dublin - Fri April 13th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lonesome Pine View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lonesome Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympia Theatre, Dublin - Fri April 13th
    Posted: April 23 2007 at 1:19pm
Encouraged by Love_Soup (thanks) here goes, second attempt.
I still remember the first time I heard Madeleine on the radio.   I sat up - that voice.   I turned up the radio, it really was that good.   I waited for the end of the record and noted down the name and ordered Careless Love.   It blew me away.   I looked for tour details and Madi was touring Europe, but Ireland was not included.   Why did she never come to Ireland?   So when I read in January that she was coming to Dublin I immediately booked my ticket - front row!   How pleased was I.   After THAT report of the New York show I just hoped I would not be disappointed.
At last the day arrived and the Olympia was packed.   Julie Folis led her band out and introduced herself and told us Madeleine had asked her to warm us up, though we seemed warmed up already.   I had never heard of her before, but she had a lovely voice and when she announced her last song was really sorry, as I would have been happy to hear some more.   Always a good idea to leave them wanting more!

After the break Madeleine and her band came on to an enthusiastic reception.   From the opening chords of Blue Alert I just sat mesmerised.   Siobhan Long in the Irish Times reported it thus "she repaid the compliments of her rapt audience with a spellbinding set."   And it was.   Her band was excellent and she remarked they had just got together.   Her between songs banter seemed relaxed and easy, and very funny, as when she described her father as "the bastard"!   Madeleine looked so lovely and seemed relaxed and happy to be here.   And too soon it was over.   For her encore, Julie and her band joined Madeleine and her band on stage.   They seemed to have a great rapport and mutual respect and to enjoy playing together.
After the show I asked one of the crew for the set list and he obliged:
Blue Alert
Don't Cry Baby
Don't Wait Too Long
Everybody's Talking
A Little Bit
Heart of Saturday Night
La Javanaise
Half The Perfect World
I'm All Right
I Hear Music
I Think It's Gonna Rain Today
Dance Me To The End
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome
Careless Love
Smile
---------------------------------------
Walking After Midnight
J'ai Deux Amours
Lonesome Road
Once In A While

While this indicates

Quote Lonesome Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 1:31pm
Ah that seems to have worked!   As promised, some snaps.   I was so sure photography would not be allowed that I only brought a compact camera, but on the evening  there was no announcement, and many people were using flash, which I did not out of courtesy  to the artist and those around me. So, with apologies for the quality, here goes  -

I have more,but that's enough.   We Irish do go on a bit!   Please forgive.
Jules UK View Drop Down

Quote Jules UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 3:23am
Great photos and review from Dublin Lonesome pine. Thank you so
much for sharing your photos. It must have been great to have been so
close. I have never been that fortunate. What an experience.

Thanks - Jules

Quote Lonesome Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 11:58am
Thank you Jules, it was indeed a very special evening.    My first time to see the wonderful Madeleine "live",  Madeleine and Julies first time in Ireland, my front row seat , getting the set list.   Who could ask for any more?
(It would have been great to have got it signed by Madeleine!)

Quote Lonesome Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 1:09am
Here are a few more snaps from that lovely evening -

And this is similar to an earlier one, but I love the twinkle in Madeleines eyes in this one (if you can see it).

Love_Soup View Drop Down

Quote Love_Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 5:32pm

Hey Lonesome!

Fab pics!!!  Thanks for posting them here! Brilliant!

Hugs,

Luce x

My Space

http://www.myspace.com/love_soup"
king crimson View Drop Down

Quote king crimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 5:56am
Glad to hear that you too enjoyed the Dublin show, Lonesome Pine. I went to the concert with my wife and a friend of ours. We made our away out to the Stage Door immediately after the show. My wife caught Madeleine's eye as she exited and my friend and I were lucky enough to get her to sign our CDs. We then rushed home to catch her on The Late Late Show.We are regular concert goers but this was my first time to see Madeleine in concert. A great show.
Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 5:20pm
Greetings Forum Members

I was just browsing You Tube and was delighted to find these two
wonderful clips taken at Madeleine's Dublin Gig.

Wonderful little memoirs to complement the commentary and photos
from Lonesome Pine.

I hope Madeleine doesn't mind us enjoying clips from her show. I love
seeing footage of her live.

Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PobSF8gaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVAX0He1V24

Happy viewing - Seb
 Post Reply Post Reply