Forum LockedCareless Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Careless Love
    Posted: September 14 2004 at 5:12pm

Ok now that Rounder has released Careless Love what do people think about it?

WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 7:48pm
What's being said about Careless Love? Check http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org/reviewscareless.asp regularly to find out.

This page will be updated regularly as reviews become available. And if you know of a review that I can post, email me at webmaster@madeleinepeyroux.org
Cujofats View Drop Down

Quote Cujofats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2004 at 12:56am
I just got Careless Love today. It's as fantastic as I
had hoped it would be. From my first listen the cover
of Elliott Smith's "Between the Bars" is devastating. I
also love "J'ai deux amours" and "this is heaven to
me".

Edited by WebMaster
Jean Paul View Drop Down

Quote Jean Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2004 at 11:16am

Again I feel completely taken away by Madeleine.   I have so much looked forward to the day when she released a second album and this September has been lovely because of Careless Love.    I have never been as captivated by the heartfelt sound of blues as I am with her voice.   Yes it is true, she seems to channel Billy and Bessie with clairvoyance. . .  but beyond that she transcends in her performance and becomes the songs that she so beautifully projects and vocalizes. 

Congratulations Madeleine Peyroux on a successfull new album and thank you for bringing so much joy to my heart! 

Edited by Jean Paul

*****Drink up Baby, look at the stars*****
mrkeeling View Drop Down

Quote mrkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2004 at 11:51am

I really, relay love "Careless Love", but since discovering and listening to Hi-res formats, I cant really bring myself to buy any CD’s.

So, I wonder if there are any plans of releasing this beautiful album on either of Hi-res formats (DVD-audio or SACD)?

I’ll be first in line buying it!

sanfrancisco View Drop Down

Quote sanfrancisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 5:30am

The song Dance Me to the End of Love is on a repeated rotation on the largest classic rock (!) station here in San Francisco.  It's terrific.  The DJ's love it too.  I rushed to get it on iTunes for my iPod and took the time to listen to the clip Don't Wait Too Long, which is also wonderful, and downloaded that.  It was like having a "Nora Jones" moment...terrric cross-over jazz tracks.  I'm sure Dance Me will be a great hit single.  A hip Bille Holiday-esque tone with 21st century sensibilities.  Will look for more soon.

Edited by sanfrancisco
HumanFactor View Drop Down

Quote HumanFactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 8:24am

Here in Boston it's a beautiful fall Sunday morning and as I search through the FM dial I hear a voice...Billie Holiday? I listen a bit more and it's an NPR interview with Madeleine Peyroux. I instantly loved her voice and style. But what startled me was when she mentioned Elliott Smith ! I'm a 47 year old guy (originally from Montreal) and have traveled the World listening to all styles of music... all genres... I play old acoustic Country Blues myself and I find Elliott Smith was the most brilliant singer/songwriter of our time... also perhaps still undiscovered by many. To hear Madeleine mention him instantly made me appreciate her even more. I've been a fan of Elliott's since the first time I saw him in a little dingy bar in Seattle around 1996. I have much of his unreleased material which I would love to share with Madeleine... it is brilliant material... I feel it's better and more significant than his released material. Btw, his family has put out his last CD coming out this October (Songs from a Basement on a Hill).  

I'm looking forward to getting Careless Love.

- M. Ledoux

Edited by HumanFactor
WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2004 at 6:10pm
Thanks for the info about the NPR interview. The complete transcript of the interview plus links to listen to the interview are at NPR Interview Transcript.

Enjoy
Lace Valentine View Drop Down

Quote Lace Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 9:45pm

Tonight is a watermark moment for me, someone's seared an indelible tattoo of roses upon my soul, and all through song. 

I was in Barnes & Noble reading the early poems of Yeats tonight when they began to play what sounded like an old jazz standard from the early 1940's. Surely this was Billie Holiday, and a tune I hadn't heard before. 

The voice embraced you with a very warm but light touch, the throat of swans lilting over waters in blue melancholy, a voice that had all the direction of an easy breeze on a porch swing, all the romance and the charm of such a scene.  It was the first track to Careless Love.

I continued reading, enjoying the music for a while until a song just wooed me away from Yeat's poem to his Beloved.  The song was "You're gonna make me lonesome when you go." 

By this point I had already realized that it wasn't Billie Holiday--but the production had all the coziness of mid-twentieth century sound, this voice was so relaxed, perhaps coming from a better time because just about any voice nowadays--political or musical--seems rabid or forced or partisan or shrill, at least in comparison to what I was now hearing on this record.

Norah Jones is a great singer among others, but I was hearing something different with Madeleine--I heard master craftsmanship, I heard dedication and talent and experience that declared itself at the top of its form, a delivery that had so much distinction and merit that the voice was in a class by itself.

I immediately got up and went to the Music section of the store to find out the artist.  I had never heard of Madeleine Peyroux before, but, say like in the first moments when you eye a woman and you know you're gonna fall in love and there's nothing you can really do about it except calmy take the whims of fate and hope the brief moment won't be the last, I knew after listening to Madeleine Peyroux this was only the beginning of a new source of great song and melody.  Rarely does one get to find a new singer of this caliber.

The record also has two of my favorite songwriters represented: Leonard Cohen and Hank Williams (and of course Dylan's lovely tune).

As a singer/songwriter myself who's spent the last year and a half writing, recording almost every track, and producing my own album, American Gothic, I could say I was in shock with myself to find I hadn't heard of her earlier CD, Dreamland, from 8 years ago.

Influences in my own work and some of the people I truly admire are: Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Van Morrison, Lou Reed, Jim Morrison, Randy Newman, Elvis Costello, Chrissie Hynde, Leo Kottke, Joe Ely, David Gray, Nick Lowe, The Jayhawks.  I think Madeleine Peyroux is of the same high standard and talent.

After hearing just five tracks of Careless Love, I said to myself, I hope she and this record win several Grammys.  Thank you, Madeleine, for your devotion to your craft.

Edited by Lace Valentine
lorilynn55 View Drop Down

Quote lorilynn55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2004 at 2:05pm
I saw Madeleine last night in Portland, OR.  She was awesome, although she played for less than 1 hour.  I bought her first CD back in '96, so I was so happy to see her in person and that she has released a new CD.  It was worth the wait.  The only thing that got to me was that I paid $20 for the CD at the concert.  You can get it at Amazon and on her website for only $13.99.  I thought that was a ripoff.  One usually pays about $15 for CD's at concerts.  I thought maybe she was only selling them at the concerts and that was why the price was so high.  I hope she's getting the profits, for her talent is truly worth the money.  Don't stay away so long next time, Madeleine!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>