Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLive versus Recorded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kobe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live versus Recorded
    Posted: November 03 2006 at 3:02pm

Hello All,

The previous discusion about Ms. Madeleine's live performances was very lively. You who have been forum members for a while have listened to many a posted performances both live and recorded. There is a difference and in some cases it has been pretty distinct. Whether this is caused by the many suggested problems (venue, stage fright, etc) who knows? Also it has been discussed how in some cases her live performances are so much better that the recorded music because of the spontaneity and personal contact she has. Once again who knows. We know that her recorded material is fabulous and we also know that alot of her live material is also fabulous. I cannot understand what happens when she speaks between songs because for a number of reasons that seems to turn people off. I can also understand that you put down considerable money for a ticket. There was one time I heard her on the Mountain Stage radio program and I had trouble recognizing that it was her. It could have been expactations that I had but I was glad I had a tape in when the show came on because it allowed me to listen to it a number of times and also grow to like it. We also know that some people hear different things than others. I remember not to long ago we had a guy who mentioned the names Dylan and Barry Manilow in a disscussion about Ms. Madeleine. Who knows what he heard? So, whether you like Ms. Madeleine live or recorded I hope we can agree that HTPW is a great CD. It superbly showcases Ms. Madeleine's voice and ranks right up with her other CD's. Yes the backup musicians she uses are top notch and I would like to think that playing with Ms. Madeleine is as much a great experience for them as it is for us. So keep up the discussion. Let some of the newer forum members catch up on her live performances (by the way Thanx Lulu for the KCRW live spot).

Thanx - Kobe

ronkobe
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 9:21pm
ALL her CDs are supurb. Only the rare person thinks otherwise. It's her live performance persona that is so bewildering. I accept but hardly understand. Just keep singing, girl!

Viva Madi.
Cheers!
souldad View Drop Down

Quote souldad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2006 at 11:43am
Here is my frame of reference. One of my favorite artists is Van Morrison.  If you haven't followed his career the past ten years, you would not know that he now more of a Jazz singer with an excellent and tight backing band (his last country foray, notwithstanding).  His vocal phrasing and voice is why you go hear him. His music defies definition. The uninformed thinks he is a nostalgia act and sings Moondance and Brown eyed girl every night - he doesnt -- he loathes those songs.

Back to the point. He is moody, fickle, and mumbles between songs. He has no stage presence.  But he is a musical genius. YOu can see him on Friday, and its the best concert you have ever seen. On Saturday, he is mailing it in, and even though the voice is in fine form, you leave pissed, wondering why you paid ticketmaster $150 for each seat. But you know what, next time he comes to town, you will be first in line because if he is on, you are in for a treat.

Some of the comments I have seen written about Madi make me think of Van. Some people want her to sound exactly like the cds.  Some wish she was something she wasnt. Some nights she mails it in, and sometimes she hits it out of the park, and the beauty is on any given night me and the person sitting next to me will disagree on whether it was an "A" or a "C" performance.

To me, such volatility of perceptions means something very special is going on on stage, and while not every moment may be perfect, perhaps they are half perfect.
MrMerkin View Drop Down

Quote MrMerkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2006 at 4:49am

I would like to respectfully question some of the things Souldad said in his latest posting.

Souldad uses Van Morrison as an example of an uneven performer and says he doesn’t mind Morrison mailing it in one night if Morrison knocks it out of the park the next night. I disagree. Someone calling himself a “professional” should never be mailing it in. A true professional should have enough regard for his audience to give that audience its money’s worth EVERY night. Does the performer owe fans a meet-and-greet after the show? Does he have to sign autographs or pose for fan pictures? Not necessarily (although it sure is a nice gesture to show the fans you care and aren’t just a mercenary). But when that performer stru[m]s and frets his hour upon the stage, I believe the audience deserves its money’s worth.  I can’t excuse a performer as being “artistic” or a mercurial genius if he thinks he can be moody and temperamental and “mail in” a performance.

On the other hand, if an artist truly suffers from stage fright, I have great compassion for such an innate condition that is hard to overcome. If an artist is not a great public speaker and quick-witted repartee is not his forte, I can excuse it. After all, I attend concerts for the music, not for some Kiss/Alice Cooper theatrics or some Barry-Manilow-Las-Vegas-style patter. Finally, if an artist has an off night due to sickness or due to a voice that has become road ravaged, that’s something for which again I feel compassion.

But I can never excuse a “professional” artist who would  just “mail it in” to his audience.

In the case of Madeleine Peyroux, she would always have my compassion if a live show were different from her recordings due to sickness or to stage fright. Those are things she has little control over. Further, if public speaking is not one of her talents, that’s okay. It’s her exceptional talent in singing and playing the guitar that brings me to her live shows.  Hopefully she would never be so disrespectful to her fans as to just “mail it in.”

Edited by MrMerkin
kobe View Drop Down

Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 2:11pm

Intersting viewpoints. Your Insight is great. What really are our expectations? Certainly we do not expect the rock musicians to give the same personal attention that we expect out of folk artists. These expectations differ due to the genre of music performed. We all can agree that the price of tickets are not cheap so we certainly expect our favorite artists to produce their material in some kind of recognizable form. You do not want to hear "I paid $50.00 for this ticket and only got a $15.00 performance".  Then again Ms. madeleine does perform jazz and traditionaly jazz is a little more free form that other musical genre's. I go to live concerts in hopes that the moons align with the starts and the sun and I will hear the one performance that will stay with me forever. It dosen't happen very often and I have walked out of a few concerts in my lifetime. I will continue to go to Ms. Madeleines concerts with those hopes whenever her performance schedule and the contents of my wallet coincide. My concern is how will this effect Ms. Madeleines future. Will it move her to smaller venues and will there be less concerts. I'm not sure that will happen. Here CD's are great and if CD sales are good usually concerts follow. But maybe they will be affected just enough to send a message. Either way as Saramandi says " Just keep singin, girl"

Also, In my previuos forum message above I mentioned a forum member who compared Dylan and Manilow with Ms. Madeleine with the suggestion that they heard things differently. Where I disagree with that forum members opinion of Ms. Madeleines talents I know that we all hear things differently and using that statement in that manner was a cheap shot and I apologize.  

Thanx - Kobe

ronkobe
doug View Drop Down

Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 11:12am
No need to apologize, kobe. That wasn't even close to a cheap shot.
Believe me, I know. I just wanted to clear up that the reference wasn't a
comparison of her music to theirs, just that a technically better voice, as
far as range or whatever, doesn't mean BETTER. Manilow is a hack. Dylan
is a genius. That was the point. I have to disagree with you on rather
hearing someone else do Dylan than Dylan. For me it's like saying you'd
rather hear someone else do the Beatle's songs than them. Although I do
admit Hendrix did the best version of "All Along The Watchtower." As far
as "best jazz vocalist of all time" it sounds as if you're far more qualified
to make that assesment than I. I was still annoyed at her for being
awful on a night I took some people to see her after raving about her. But
who cares, life is short. I'm listening to "Careless Love" as I write this and
remembering why I liked her in the first place. Hey, Rumsfeld just
resigned. Things are looking up. No more posts, really.

P.S. kobe, as far as rock musicians not giving the same personal attention
as folk musicians, I'm guessing you've never seen Bruce Springsteen,
Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Pretenders, Tom Petty, etc..., in concert.

Edited by doug
willow View Drop Down

Quote willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 4:34pm
I am very new to this forum and have been reading a lot about Madeleine's live performances as i am going to see her for the first time in december. After reading what everybody has put it seems that the main concerns are awkward stage presence, appearance etc. I must admit that not of these things bother me as i only want to hear her beautiful voice and am a bit disturbed by a post i read which commented on her weight!
I have seen her in interview and heard some live material from radio recordings and she does indeed seem nervous and awkward which is exaclty how I would be in that situation. All in all I am very excited about going to see her as I adore her for her voice and Queens Hall Edinburgh is a beautiful venue.
I will be sure to come back to this thread and post my thoughts after!
mmmm View Drop Down

Quote mmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 12:41am
Madeleine's voice is great, but I didn't like her perfomance as well as other people have said. I have seen her in Barcelona. She sang very well, that's true, but it seemed she was singing the same way all the songs. the concert was quite short 1 h. 20 minutes (including two reprises). So, i think i prefer listening to her cd's than seing her live.

cheers,
Jim Rosenthal View Drop Down

Quote Jim Rosenthal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 10:58am

I saw the DC concert recently. Evidently starting late is not unusual; there was a 45 min gap between the warmup act, Phil Roy, who was terrible, and Madeleine's set. So the audience was in an irritable mood when she started singing.

Thirty seconds into the opening number, none of it mattered. The last artist I remember who kept us all waiting that long was Miles Davis, and thirty seconds into his first set none of it mattered, either.

Does she occasionally miss a note? Sure- so did Miles, so did Stan Getz, so did Coltrane. Is her stage presence a bit awkward? Sometimes- clearly she'd rather sing than talk. Fine- I'd rather she sing, too. Her weight? This isn't the Playboy Channel. There's no shortage of women "singers" who are pinup girls. All of them together don't even come close to adding up to one Madeleine.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen a few artists live who could make time stand still- Miles, Chick Corea and RTF, Brubeck (believe it or not!), Danny Gatton. All of them had at least this one common quality: passion in their playing, as well as great chops and impeccable taste in what they did. None of them were free of occasional mistakes, which made what they did even greater. You would expect a god to play perfectly. You would expect one of us to be- well, one of us.

When I am lucky enough to find a great and highly individual artist, in any field, I am glad I am alive to have the experience. For an hour and a half in Washington, time stood still again, as I listened to Madeleine Peyroux. Count yourself lucky that you have heard her perform, and that she's young and will be around a long time. With all the processed and canned material passed off as music around, she is something different; the genuine article, the real thing, a real person like you or I- but a genius.

Edited by Jim Rosenthal
Jim Rosentha;
RonJon View Drop Down

Quote RonJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 12:00pm

I understand what you're saying Jim about perfection not being the ideal. Like you I've seen Miles, Getz, Coltrane & the like...the big difference is that none of them attempted the awkward between song repartee...either because they weren't comfortable or in Miles case, he didn't give a damn.

Either reason was just fine with me, because it was impossible to be distracted from the genius of their art. Unfortunately the same can not be said of M P. Passion in playing? Not in Portland, I'm siding with the other post that pointed out that it looked like she was trying to fulfill a contractual obligation. Passion is not that difficult to witness.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>