Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNY concert - what happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
clav View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote clav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:06pm

SST23, I saw Madeleine for the first time in Boston last night.  My wife and I are big fans of her recordings.  Our impression of her show was very similar to yours.  Her pitch, volume control, and phrasing were very loose and uncontrolled.  Her engagement with the audience was awkward.  Her affect was flat and she seemed distracted.

She is hugely talented, and her voice is so engaging and distinct on her recordings.  We hope that this performance was simply an off night for her. 

souldad View Drop Down

Quote souldad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 6:03am
Couldnt disagree more, clav. I saw the Boston show and it was a gem. As for her phrasing being loose, that's her style! I am shocked when I hear people say that.
Spiff View Drop Down

Quote Spiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2006 at 6:56am

I had issues with Madeline's performance in Washington DC last month myself. She was disjointed, flaky, and frankly, seemed stoned. There were several people who left the concert who said the same thing. Additionally, a couple of hundred people left the concert before the end, something which I almost never see. I love her albums, but while I'm willing to go see some performers half in the bag, she isn't one of them. A huge disappointment in person.

JayAre View Drop Down

Quote JayAre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 11:50am
I saw Ms. Peyroux in concert once (Monterey Jazz Festival, Sep. 2005), and I have to agree with the negative concert reviews.  It was very disappointing.

On the positive side, I just picked up Got You on My Mind, and it's brilliant--probably my favorite of all her releases.
HunterB View Drop Down

Quote HunterB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 1:02pm
See my comments on the Charleston show. I had the same impression, that
being on stage here was the last place on earth she wanted to be.
Unfortunate because we'd looked forward to the show for a month. She was
so ungracious and condescending that we finally walked out.
hillbilly View Drop Down

Quote hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 5:28am
My wife and I saw her concert last night in Charlotte. We both thought that
Ms Peyroux seemed very tired and her voice was not in good form. I thought
it was because of this being the last date in the tour, but reading here that
doesn't seem to be the cause. Her backup band was excellent. True
professionals. I would pay to see them again. Not sure about her.
Gina View Drop Down

Quote Gina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:42am
It is very rare that I am moved enough by the music of an individual performer to venture on to a fan website. However, I have became a fan of Madeleine's in 2004 when she released Careless Love and have been visiting this website on and off over the last few years hoping that she would come to perform close enough to where I live.   I was ecstatic to find she was coming to Charlotte and I too got to see Madeleine perform last night and I have to say I was captivated by her performance. She has such a unique voice, her choice of material is impeccable and her lack of veneer is so refreshing.    I will agree with hillbilly her band were stellar - but I find Hillbilly's response suprising - so suprising that I felt I had to say something. Certainly there were some songs she performed last night that I prefer on her CDs - there were other's which were a true joy to hear performed live by her. I loved Blue Alert and her French renditions. Her stage presence is understated that's for sure. It is not cabaret - thank goodness. Nor is there a gloss on her speel. Personally I much prefer this to the 'american idol'esque nature of an over produced show. Madeleine is so refreshing and 'real' - this is what appeals to me and as I can see puts other forum members off. Each to their own I guess. In my view is one of the most unique vocal talents of her generation. And she is great guitarist to boot. I loved the show and feel privileged to have finally seen her live. I am looking forward to the next opportunity I get.

Best, Gina

bamboo View Drop Down

Quote bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 1:17pm
I don't usually post comments on artists' sites, but last night's show in
Charlotte was so disappointing that I can't stay silent. I was inclined to
blame her lackluster performance on the fact this was her last tour stop -
she seemed anxious to get it over with and go home. Comments from
other cities indicate this was not simply a rare "off night." My wife is a
bigger fan than I am and even she commented on Madeleine's aimless
rambling - and that was during the songs, not between. I know her style
is loose, but in concert it was totally disconnected. I didn't expect a slick
production, but I had hoped for something slightly more coherent. Save
your ticket money and buy her CDs instead.
carson View Drop Down

Quote carson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 8:32pm
I've never seen our girl live, but from these postings, it
sounds like maybe she's burned out on the "success" thing, with its
rediculous schedules and constant commercial obligations. From those
videos on Youtube of her in the small club, it looks like she might of
been happier before she hit the bigtime. Look at Britney Spears and all
the other casualties of the "machine". Its the damn industry that can kill a
beautiful soul.

They're the one's that put the "sucks" in success!

Did anybody ever see her live before she got so famous? I would of liked
to see the concert that's on the video. Just wonder if the pressure is
wearing her down. You have to wonder if her managers are looking after
her properly or just trying to milk her for every penny before she cracks
up. Maybe she needs a break!

Carson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12