Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNY concert - what happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SST23 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SST23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NY concert - what happened?
    Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:28pm

I am a HUGE Madeleine fan but was a little turned off after seeing her live (it was my first time).  She was very awkward on stage, and was babbling about nonsense when not singing. She wasn't making any sense!  Also, she just plain did not seem very happy to be there.  Anyone else feel the same way?  Or is this just her?  Her voice is a dream but I thought she gave a half-hearted performance last night.

P.S.  The venue was miserable - hot and uncomfortable seats.  The price was a rip!  Maybe the whole atmosphere was just bad karma...

sofi View Drop Down

Quote sofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:53pm
SST23 ,  The show was great . The seats were comfortable . "I Think It's Going To Rain Today" was a gem ... Jimmie ...
SST23 View Drop Down

Quote SST23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 3:14pm

Jimmie - Town Hall is miserable.  I just got bad vibes from the whole shebang (and as the message boards indicate, some concertgoers in other venues felt the same way.)  So it's not just me!

Daisy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 3:20pm
Here here Sofi!
SST23 - were you there. What a show.
Firstly Odetta was a blast. Madeleine then came on, afterwards and with a
warm greeting to the crowd, expertly opened with Blue Alert and
seemlessly moved through her set appearing to enjoy the show from
beginning to end. She gave some excellent commentary on her songs,
made some funny little quips and her duet with Odetta was a crowning
and beautiful moment in the show. The band throughout were fabulous.
It was a wonderful evening where the enjoyment of all the performers was
palpable.

Were you really at the same show? The Karma was all good.

Daisy
SST23 View Drop Down

Quote SST23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:09pm

To each his own, I guess.  Unfortunately, for me, it's the last time I'll be forking over $100 for tix to her show.  I'm more content to listen to her albums at home, without putting up with the nonsense I described.

Oh - and you gotta love the anti-Republican/Bush/RedState-BlueState stuff side comments here and there throughout the show.  That's the kicker for me every time.

WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:48pm
Well it was a little warm up in the balcony at times and the seats are not the most comfortable.

However the performances of both Odetta and Madeleine were very good.

I really liked 'Blue Alert' and she put her own stamp on 'I Think It's Going to Rain Today'.

SST23, if you were up in the balcony I don't think the acoustics were that great. I could have used some more volume up there. I couldn't understand some of Madi's commentary.

So that was a problem with the venue. Madeleine however was in fine form. Very loose and comfortable on stage. I think very much feeling at home.

As for the political statements, you'll have to learn to ignore them. Madi has very strong political sentiments and isn't afraid to speak her mind.

Rich Hanson
frenchwoman View Drop Down

Quote frenchwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 6:36pm
I was just in front of the artist who I saw for the first time. She is really wonderfull and the musicians too. I PREFERE Madeleine in live, and the originality and the creation of the music. Thank you for such a beautiful moment, and the duo too. You're a nice singer, stay as you are... don't change the music, thank you very much. An album in live ?
sofi View Drop Down

Quote sofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 10:15pm
And the Duo too ....
TomKWS View Drop Down

Quote TomKWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 9:53pm
To all,

I am a NYC swing/lounge/jazz promoter, and have been friends with our Mme. Peyroux for more than a few years now.

Truly, she is a unique spirit and, in my professional opinion, performs live unlike any talent for whom I've had the privilege to previously be audience. Of course, if the Town Hall/NYC gig was your first experience feeling her live (as opposed to a professionally-mixed album recording), I can understand your perception of her feeling uncomfortable or awkward on stage.

Perhaps, for any of us to truly appreciate this unique artist, we must step back for a moment... and understand that Maddy is not, probably will never be, and certainly doesn't aspire to become, a polished Top-Ten-on-the-jazz-charts type of performer. Clearly, she shuns the spotlight and — only with practiced reticence — does she endeavor to perform publicly. She truly is an artist; one who expresses herself because it is her calling and she can do nothing else but... ultimately to please herself.

Please do not expect her live events to be a polished, patter-rehearsed show. That's not fair to ask of her. The true value of her talent lies elsewhere.

I challenge you to relax in your seat, listen with no expectations, and find it.

bk669 View Drop Down

Quote bk669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 8:10am
I love Madeleine and I'm going to see her tonite in boston. what is up with the negativity? I don't go to shows looking to be critical - if it's an artist that I don't think I'll enjoy seeing, I don't go. I know I will enjoy tonite's concert and I'm not looking to be critical, no matter whether Madeleine has the pitter patter routine down or not... whether her hair is messy or she breaks a string... whether she bashes bush or not.   although if she does bash that idiot, it will make me even happier ... :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>