Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedComments on Dreamland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tacoosh View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tacoosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments on Dreamland
    Posted: October 10 2006 at 12:32pm

My initial exposure to Madeleine was listening to Dreamland, her first CD.  I happend to find it in the used CD bin at one of the audio stores I cruise.  I'm rather ashamed to admit, but I was unimpressd on my first listen.  However, a few weeks later I came across the same CD and gave it a second try.  This time it was love at second listen.

Since that time that CD has become one of my most treasured.  She has often been the last thing I listen to in the evening before turning in.  The interpretations she makes on the material she chooses is tuly magical. 

Anyone else have comparisons of Dreamland to her later releases?

Luigi View Drop Down

Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 7:28am
Yeah I kinda felt about the same way as you did when I first listened to Dreamland but, again like yourself, fell in love with the record on second listen. The reason it didn't wow me the first time round iis because, coming from an audio enineering background, I could tell immediately tell the difference in the recording & mixing of Dreamland from Careless Love (which was the first Madi record I bought). It's one of the drawbacks of audio engineers because trough the first listen, one instinctively listens to the recording rather than the music and this has  come in the way of enjoying a piece of music many a time. But I love Dreamland now as much as Careless Love, Got You On My Mind (with William Galison) and the new Half Perfect World.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that there was hardly any reverb on Madi's vox in Careless Love? hmph. I know I'm sad ;)

Top 5 best Madeleine songs, anyone?

L'
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 9:51am
Top five?
Hhhmmmm.
My fav's (not in order):
I'm All Right
Was I?
J'ai Deux Amours (from the Galison album, not from Careless Love)
Spreading Rhythm Around (from the CDs with the Lost & Wandering Blues & Jazz Band)
and
Walking After Midnight (I like to listen to Patsy Cline sing it and then listen to Madi - both excellent)

Special awards to:
A Fool at the Other (from the CD "Courtney's Farm" by Mick Reed and the Spring Valley Studs
and
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (from the Till Bronner CD "Oceana")

L8tah!

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
Luigi View Drop Down

Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 6:44am
Nice wee list you've got there Saramadi. I must admit I don't recognise a few of thte tracks mentioned there but that's coz I've only got the 3 albums she's done and had no idea she was on other projects. I'm going to look around for these records.

My top 5 - in no order

Was I (Dreamland)

You're Gonna...Tonight (Careless Love)

Smile (Half...World)

Heaven To Me (Got...Mind)

Between The Bars (Careless Love)

L'

P/S,

Anyone notice the similarity in the intro chords to No More (careless Love) and Summer Wnd (Half...World)? Also check out the Between The Bars' cover by Metric on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yM5kCRrZ2ZE  - pretty cool.

Hmph.

L'

Edited by Luigi
Mike View Drop Down

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 9:46pm

My top five from her CD's

SMILE

BLUE ALERT

LA VIE EN ROSE

RECKLESS BLUES

MUDDY WATER

Mike View Drop Down

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 10:00pm

I have enjoyed all of her CD's.  I find that when I listen to them I can hear Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Edith Piaf, and even Ethel Waters.  This girl is great.  She takes old blues numbers and makes them sound terrific.  The back up musicians on these CD's are really good.  The stereo sound separation quality is also good.

Luigi View Drop Down

Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2006 at 11:36am
Yeah the musicianship, recording, mixing and mastering of the projects is impeccable. Especially with the new album. Listen intently to 'Smile'. Amazing recording.

L'
 Post Reply Post Reply