Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy give a racial joke?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Profjoe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Profjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why give a racial joke?
    Posted: October 05 2006 at 1:11pm
I want to start by saying that I think Ms. Peyroux is extremely talented and I enjoy her music.  Yet last night, at the concert in Santa Barbara, she gave a racial joke where the punchline made fun of an Asian accent.  As she was setting up the joke I was thinking "Don't do it", but she did, imitating a Japanese accent, which was followed by laughter (presumably by non-Asians). 

After this, I couldn't really enjoy the show.  She has ceased to be a singer whose music "transcended" languages.  Rather, she became a parochial singer, whose own culture made fun of others. 

I hope she doesn't use that joke again (or any other racial joke) in her future performances.  And although, losing one fan may not affect her all too much, I hope she will change her tune a bit.

sincerely,
a former fan

Edited by Profjoe
Lili View Drop Down

Quote Lili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 1:37pm
I am a big fan of Ms Peyroux's I read this forum from time to time. It is disappointing to be faced with what is interpreted as a racial comment and it is unfortunate that this offended you. I cannot say for certain, but, given Ms Peyroux's background, her own experiences living and working as a street muscian I am sure she has an understanding, more than most, of being different and of many types of biases and discrimination that are faced in this world. From her interviews, her liner notes, the text she has added to her playlist on Itunes I have only gotten the impression that she is an open minded, intelligent and compassionate young woman. This was a poor judgement call on her part. However I am sure that neither offence nor racist slurs were the intent. If Ms.Peyroux had chosen to adopt a different accent a French, a Texan or a British accent. Would we conclude so readily that it was a racist joke I wonder. Perhaps not. Either way she should certainly take more care. I hope she gets to read this, understand the pitfalls of such jokes, and avoid careless commentary in the future. She is too great a performer to risk compromising her performances.
Profjoe View Drop Down

Quote Profjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:06pm
Lili, I grant Ms Peyroux the benefit of the doubt.  Namely, that she probably didn't intend any offense.  Yet, what strikes me as a bit strange is that if she had made a comment about Jews, African-Americans, or the Latin community, no matter what her intentions were, she would have to apologize because it would be offensive.  Yet with an Asian joke, we just let that go because she didn't intend to offend anyone?  That seems a bit odd and a bit unfair.
 Post Reply Post Reply