Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMadi in Portland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teresa View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Madi in Portland
    Posted: October 01 2006 at 8:11pm
I went to Madeleine's concert last night, and she did a great job!  She sang well, and seemed to have a good time entertaining the packed crowd.  
Thanks for coming back to Portland!  This was the 5th time I've seen her in two years.  
Teresa
RonJon View Drop Down

Quote RonJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 11:07am
Teresa...were you at the same show I was? I love Madeleine's music & this was the 1st time I had ever seen her. After 100's of shows over the past 30 years, this was the only time I exited midway through a show. She was obviously disgusted with the venue, rambling about it between each song. This was a sold out show, or close to it...her fans deserved more than the apathetic perfomance and foul mood that several of the departing couples I followed out door had witnessed . Dead
John Adam View Drop Down

Quote John Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 6:24pm

I have to agree with RonJon.  This was the first time I have seen Madeleine live and it was a disappointment.  To be honest, I attended the concert for the opening act - Vienna Teng. Vienna was great!

Having heard Madeleine on the radio - and with all the positive buzz about her - I figured it would be a good evening. However, her stage mannerisms made me tense, nervous, and wanting to look away. Even when I closed my eyes to focus on her voice, I was not impressed. 

I wanted to leave - one of my 2 sons (the musician in the family) did leave.  The other son commented later that he thought she had "one too many" before the show.  Unfulfilled vocal talent; amateur stage presence; waste of money.

Edited by John Adam
John Adam
RonJon View Drop Down

Quote RonJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 2:46pm

I just received some more background on what possibly twisted Madeleine's vibe. A friend who went to her last show in Portland said that at the last minute they moved the venue from the more spacious & toney Arlene Schnitzer to the Aladdin. Being a producer/director himself, he said it easily took 4-5 songs for her to snap out of her funk. This time around, the venue was changed from the Crystal Ballroom to the Aladdin...evidently too much for her to roll with.Cry

I'm sorry, but with close to a 1000 rabid fans present, she could have been singing from a rock on Mt. Tabor & all would have been good...if she didn't resort to her personal pity party.

saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 3:02pm
I love Madi but have been twice disappointed in live performances, most recently last year at Boston's Berklee Performance Center. But her CD/studio voice is remarkable. First time I ever heard of Madi when when I saw her at the Montreal Jazz Festival, I think in 1998. She was wonderful there.

Hey John Adam, I just had a listen to Vienna Teng on iTunes, and I LIKE. I've bought/downloaded one of her albums to listen some more. Thanks for mentioning her.

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
MikeD View Drop Down

Quote MikeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 9:08am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the size and makeup of Madeline's band is? Did she play any piano, or just guitar?

Thanks!

saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 5:00pm
I've never known her to play the piano. Mostly she plays acoustic guitar. The accompaniers on her most recent CD are:
Dean Parks - guitar
David Piltch - bass
Jay Bellarose - drums
Scott Amendola - drums
Sam Yahel - keyboards
Gary Foster - saxophone
Greg Leisz - pedal steel
Till Bronner - trumpet
Larry Goldings - celeste

She has appeared as a guest vocalist on albums done by Larry Goldings and Till Bronner.
Cheers!
MikeD View Drop Down

Quote MikeD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 7:06pm

Thanks saramadi. What I wanted to know, though, is the instrumental lineup on her current tour. Can anyone who's seen her recently report on that - not necessarily the names, just the instruments.

Thanks very much!

saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 2:22pm
Oh!

I know Scott Amendola is playing drums and Ron Miles is playing trumpet on her current tour. But that's all I know as I haven't seen her on this tour.
Cheers!
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 2:26pm
As I have said previously, I have been disappointed in seeing Madi live while rejoicing in her CDs. Others here have been disappointed as well.

I have not seen her on her current tour. But I have come across one glowing review of her performance at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland. See:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_4450410
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>