Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReviews of ’Half The Perfect World’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
danm123 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote danm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews of ’Half The Perfect World’
    Posted: August 20 2006 at 10:07am

Well, now that Madeleine’s new album ‘Half The Perfect World’ is available for downloading, here are my first thoughts: it is an absolutely excellent record and will obviously be monopolizing my CD player’s time for weeks to come.

‘Half The Perfect World’ also has the tremendous challenge of following up one of this young century’s very finest musical offerings – her earlier ‘Careless Love’ album, which was a masterpiece of modern jazz and folk fusings.  Since its release, I must’ve recommended that album to over 50 people in the last 2 years, and no one who heard it said anything but positive words about it.  It featured jaw-droppingly stunning cover versions of songs that were almost total reworkings from their initial musical arrangements, but delivered in Madeleine’s sultry, playful and intensely romantic stylings, it was nearly impossible not to be floored by her the purity of her emotion and stupefying musical talent.  “Dance Me To The End Of Love” and “Don’t Wait Too Long” became household hits, her cover of Bob Dylan’s “You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go” was revelatory.  And her versions of “J’ai Deux Amours,” “I’ll Look Around” and “This Is Heaven To Me” are perhaps the most exquisite romantic ballads yet performed by anyone in this young century.  (The extraordinary power of Madeleine’s musical spell was such that she could take a song about romantic breakup, like “No More,” and turn it into a ballad of seduction – with her seducing us, her audience.)

I imagine many people will be just as enchanted if not more so by ‘Half The Perfect World.’  But at first listen, while I can certainly call it exemplary, and Madeleine still sings and plays like no other jazz musician today, I unfortunately can’t call it a masterpiece.  And admittedly, I mostly attribute this to my already intense familiarity with so many of the songs in the album’s tracklisting.  Madeleine and her band cover Sinatra’s “Summer Wind,” Nilsson’s “Everybody’s Talking” (made infamous from the ‘Midnight Cowboy’ soundtrack), Joni Mitchell’s dour ballad “River,” and Tom Waits’ barroom folksong “(Looking For) The Heart Of Saturday Night,” as well as Charlie Chaplin’s rather sentimental “Smile.”  It’s not that the songs are bad, per se, only that Madeleine’s earlier choices for cover songs seemed a little more inspired to me.  As for the new covers, her decision to slow down “Everybody’s Talking” into a torch song is daring and enchanting, and definitely one of the most rewarding cover versions.  As for the other tunes, it’s not an offensive selection, and Madeleine’s covering is pleasant enough (how couldn’t it be), but did we really *need* another cover of “Summer Wind”?  I’m not sure this song, like several of<

Daniel M.
kobe View Drop Down

Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 3:31pm

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the review. I look forward to buying this CD when it comes out. I have only heard two songs from this cd so far. One, The copy of "California Rain" that was posted on this website and Two,"I'm Alright" which I heard played on a new music preview show. I liked both of them but "I'm Alright" blew me away. I heard some of the longest phrases I have ever heard Ms. Madeleine sing. It was like listening to a more mature singer. I knew it was Ms. Madeleine yet she had more depth. To me if this is a sample of the whole CD then WOW I think it is indeed reveltory.

As for some of the selections, it is difficult to access the situation from down here in the cheap seats. Certainly with the success of "Careless Love" you would think that Ms. Madeleine might have more creative control, but it is only her 3rd CD and there was such a long break between the 1st and the 2nd. Also Ms. Madeleine is definetly a rising star and it seems to me that alot of singers would want to do duets with her and if they are people who are in the Business longer she might be in a position to do music that fits them better that her. I am grateful for your insight and wait with anticipation for the CD's release. As for me, I consider Ms. Madeleine the best jazz vocalist of our time and the more she records the happier I am.

Thanx - Ron Kobe.    

ronkobe
doug View Drop Down

Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 10:56am
The "best jazz vocalist of our time"? Sorry, folks. She's unoriginal and
overated. And, please, couldn't she just sing the line "shave your face"
rather than change it to "feed" your face. You don't need to change the
lyrics to great songs to accomodate your gender. We'll get it. Don't mess
with Tom Waits. He, by the way, is an original.
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 1:01pm
And blah to you too.
Unoriginal :-) Like really?
Tom Waits is OK and original.
He's not got Madi's voice.
You didn't like her live show and you seem unable to get over that.
Why not stop reading her forum :-)

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
doug View Drop Down

Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 9:19am
I hadn't read it in a long time, actually.
Tom Waits is "OK". Am I supposed to think your opinion on Peyroux is
worthwhile after that assesment of Tom Waits?
He doesn't have Madi's voice. And??? Dylan doesn't have Barry Manilow's
voice. Who would you rather listen to?

Edited by doug
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 9:58pm
I don't want you to respect my opinion nor think it's worthwhile.
I don't care about Barry Manilow or Bob Dylan.
I don't much care about Tom Waits although I like his work.
Please enjoy him and visit his forum often.

To whom would I rather listen?
Why Madi, of course.
(A preposition is a poor thing to end a sentence with.
<giggle>)

I'll ignore your future posts.
Enjoy the forum.
Thanks for visiting.

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
pourmadi View Drop Down

Quote pourmadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 10:20am
It is hard to imagine how caustic some can be. Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of seeing this performer live knows what an extraordinary talent she is. Truly unique, she reaches right into your soul. It's no secret about some of the nonsense she's been through, and perhaps this gives her presentation a certain edge, but that's OK with me. Another amazing effort - I cannot wait to see her perform live here in New York again.
PourMadi, toujour!
dr Timijan View Drop Down

Quote dr Timijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 11:11am
I agree, the album is a treat. But I can't see why even arguing over Dylan, Waits or anybody. They're all uniqure, great artists and she did a great job covering Cohen and Dylan and the forum's all about tolerance & discussion, anyway. If anybody doesn't dig Dylan, that's alright with me. I won't get preachy with "you don't know what you're missing" stuff, but try and listen one more time, the same goes for Waits. Or Cohen or any artist, if you wish. As far as I go, I joined the forum 'cause I love good music; a very special hello from Slovenia and how's y'all doing?
Them that's got shell get ...
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 2:43pm
Actually my Mom got Dylan's newest CD and I listened for a bit. Not bad at all. I like it.

But Madi's voice makes me shiver every time I listen.

BTW, there is a great review/interview of Madi in the Sept 12th New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/12/arts/music/12peyr.html?_r= 1&ref=music&oref=slogin

Hello Slovenia, wecome to the forum.
Cheers!
WebMaster View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote WebMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 9:50pm
See more reviews of 'Half the Perfect World' at madeleinepeyroux.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>