Forum LockedDo You Have These??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Have These??
    Posted: April 09 2006 at 2:23pm

I am always searching for more Madi songs. Recently I found two songs she did as a guest on compilation CDs that I did not have in my collection. I bought both CDs fairly cheaply through Amazon marketplace. The albums (and the Madi song on each) are:

1) Madi sings "Life Is Fine" on the 1997 tribute CD for Rainer Ptacek "The Inner Flame"

2) Madi sings "Give Your Moma One Smile" on the Starbucks CD "Sweetheart" released in 2005. I think there was one released in 2004 as well but it was different.

And for those who don't have Madi busking with the Lost and Wandering Jazz and Blues Band, those three CDs are available at the Band's website (www.lostwandering.com/). She appears on the CDS "Hustlin' Dan", "Spreading Rhythm Around", and "The Best Of". They also sell a DVD on which Madi appears, but I haven't seen that one.

Cheers
Cheers!
Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 4:43pm
Thanks for this information

I have wanted to find a digital version of the Rainer Ptacek CD - "The
Inner Flame" to get a recording of Madeleine singing "Life is Fine" But as
yet have not founf one. Do you recommend buying it for this?

I have been searching for other recordings of Madeleine covering songs
and have not found anything new other than her cover of "I wish I could
shimmy like my sister Kate" from the Montreal Jazz Festival.

In my searches I did find a number of albums where Maeleine is featured:

Voce – Music from Women of the World - “ La Vie en Rose”

Ron Sunshine and the Full Swing : Straight Up! – “ Lounging at the
Waldorf”

Celebrating 20 years of the Montreal Jazz Festival - “I wish I could
shimmy like my sister Kate.

Wonderland Jazz Songs. Chapter 3: Something Cool – “Getting some fun
out of life”

Your guide to the North Sea Jazz Festival 2005 - “Dance me to the end of
love”

The Wedding Cocktail Hour – “Dance me to the end of love”

Mad About You (soundtrack) - “The way you look tonight”

Acoustic Love CD – “Hey Sweet Man”

Saint Germain de Pres Café: Vol 6 – “ Back in your onw backyard”

Women 2006 – “Your gonna make me lonesome when you go”

I would very much like to learn of other recordings so please keep
sharing what you have.

Warm regards - Seb
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 5:45pm
The Rainer Ptacek tribute CD is pretty good. Read the reviews on Amazon. I "HAD" to have it to get the Madeleine song. It's different than most of her stuff, and I'm glad I bought it. You can get the CD for about $4 plus S&H at Amazon Marketplace.

I liked the sample of "Sister Kate" that I found but it's not worth the cost of the 4-CD set to get it. I'm not interested in songs that appear on her mainstream albums, just different stuff.

Thanks for listing these though.

Do you have the Lost & Wandering Jazz and Blues Band CDs? I bought them from the Band's web site and it took awhile to get them because the travel A LOT. But they were worth it (to me at least).

The songs she sings on the L&W CDs (some repeated on the different CDs, at least one is a duet) are:
Arkansas
Far Away Blues
Eavesdropper's Blues
Hustlin' Dan
Lounging At The Waldorf
Muddy Water
Say It With A Kiss
Spreading Rhythm Around (I love this one!)
Them Has Been Blues

OH. And quite some time ago I recorded Madi singing "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" from a streaming version on the NPR web site. It had something to do with Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz and was part of a tribute to NO Hurricane relief, I think performed at Tanglewood in western Mass. I don't know if the streaming version is still available on NPR.

Cheers
Joe

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
silverstar View Drop Down

Quote silverstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 1:25am
FYI - this thread has a list of some other CDs that Madeleine appears on. 

According to the news page, she also performs "Hesitation Blues" on Larry Golding's "Quartet" album, and "The Good Life" will be on the "Lucky You" soundtrack.  "Careless Love" will be on the "Jazz Vocalists: Hear and Now" CD being released on April 25th.

Hope that helps!

Edited by silverstar
RichardS View Drop Down

Quote RichardS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 5:41am

Madeleine also contibutes to a track on an album by Mike Reed and the Spring Valley Studs.  The album was released in 2003 and is called Courtney's Farm.  The track is "A Fool and the Other".  The album is worth getting but is difficult to find (but is available from the excellent cdbaby.com).

Different live versions of "Don't wait too long" are available on 4 radio station cds (see official website) - all are available but some more difficult to obtain than others.

Madeleine will appear as as guest artist on 2 soon to be released cds.  One is Oceana by Till Bronner.  The track is "I'm so lonesome I could cry".  The other is by Toots Thielemans and is called One More for the Road.  The track is "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea".

Can anyone help with some information.  There is supposed to be a version of "The way you look tonight" by Madeleine on the Mad About you soundtrack (listed on allmusic.com as one of 7 tracks).  But all copies I have seen on various websites have 21 tracks and no Madeleine.  Are there 2 versions?

RichardS

Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 2:26pm
Richard

Thanks for the heads up on the new releases. I will look forward to their getting hold of those tracks.

The great news for all Madeleine fans is that the album Courtney's Farm is available on ITUNES - I have just donwloaded it and enjoying listening to a new Madeleine track "A fool at the other". It is always such an extraordinary pleasure to hear new tracks. I am revelling in it now.

So many thanks to you. Please keep sharing.

Seb
silverstar View Drop Down

Quote silverstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by RichardS

Can anyone help with some information.  There is
supposed to be a version of "The way you look tonight" by Madeleine on
the Mad About you soundtrack (listed on allmusic.com as one of 7
tracks).  But all copies I have seen on various websites have 21 tracks and
no Madeleine.  Are there 2 versions?

According to Amazon, the CD version of the Mad About You soundtrack
has 21 tracks (and no Madeleine), but the audio tape version of the
soundtrack has eight songs:

1. Final Frontier - Anita Baker
2. She Crawls Away - Hootie & the Blowfish
3. Things We've Handed Down - Marc Cohn
4. Way You Look Tonight - Madeleine Peyroux
5. Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan
6. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - John Lennon
7. At Last - Etta James
8. Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002JC9/
ref=mb_oe_c/102-7376760-1102515?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Edited by silverstar
Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 6:31pm
Just thought you may all like to know - the recording of Madeleine
singing "I'm so lonesome I could cry" with Till Bronner on his album
Oceana, which Richard told us about, is now available on the US ITunes
Store. I am just down loading it now.

Enjoy - Seb
Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 3:29pm
It is me again - The Toots Theilemans Album "One more for the road" was released today - which has the collaboration with Madeleine - "In between the devil and the deep blue sea". What is even better is that it is available in ITunes (US site) so go ahead and buy it!

It is a marvellous big band version of the song and Madeleine's voice is as gorgeous as ever. Quite diffferent to the Till Bronner track "I'm so lonesome I could cry" which is slow time and sublime.   

It is really wonderful to have all of these new recordings - showcasing Madeleine's versatility with styles. I am really looking forward now to what will be on her new album.

Continue enjoying - Seb
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 2:10pm

Love the track from the Toots Thielemans album. I just bought it at iTunes. I have a fairly complete selection of Madi music, missing "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate" from the Montreal Jazz Festival CDs as I haven't been able to afford to spring for the cost of the multi-CD set that the track appears on.
I have:
Careless Love album
Dreamland album
Got You On My Mind album
9 songs from the three albums she appears on with the Lost and Wandering Jazz & Blues Band.
Hesitation Blues from Goldings' Quartet album
Life Is Fine from the Rainer Ptacek tribute CD The Inner Flame
He's Got Me Going from Pinetop Perkins album Ladies Man
Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans recorded from a streaming version at Marilyn McPartland's NPR site.
Down By The Riverside (about 60 seconds) recorded from a streaming version from eTown web site.
Give Your Moma One Smile from the Starbucks' Sweetheart album
A Fool At The Other from the album Courtney's Farm by Mick Reed and the Spring Valley Studs.

Cannot wait for a new full album from Madi. Hope it comes soon!

Edited by saramadi
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply